A Mould for Clariel

Yay! After harrowing adventures, I finally have a completed silicone mould for Clariel

IMG_2304[1]

Why is it two different colours? Well, I ran out of the pink silicone from Alumilite halfway through the moulding. It took a little bit more than I thought it would. Then the white silicone from FormX didn’t set the first time I used it because I accidentally mixed too little catalyst. (I thought it said 100:1 but it actually said 100:5.) Annnnd when I was cleaning the un-set silicone off the pink stuff that I did have on the other side, the turpentine shrank the pink silicone and caused parts of it to rip. So I had to re-cast the entire half mould all in the white stuff.

In addition to that, because my workshop is so cold (17 degrees C or 62.6 degrees F) I had to rig up a little hot house out of foam for the white silicone to cure. It’s much happier at 24 degrees C. I almost despaired and tossed it out because it hadn’t gotten totally solid overnight (Thursday night) and when I arrived on Friday, it was still very smushy. The thing about tin-curing silicone is: if it’s not cured by the end of its stated curing time, it’s not gonna. Unless …

Unless it’s too cold. If it’s too cold, it’s probably still curing just reaaaaaally slowly. So I crossed my fingers and warmed it up. In a few hours, it set! Woohoooo! I can’t tell you how happy and relieved I was.

So, today, I still have a bunch of cleaning to do from the failed curing (last Monday) and the retarded curing (last Thurs/Fri). Un-cured silicone is a nightmare to clean up cause it doesn’t react to very many chemicals. I use turpentine, and then concentrated dish-soap to clean up the residual oil. Or I use acetone or 100% isopropyl alcohol. It depends on how cured it ended up, what it’s stuck to, and how stubborn it’s being.

Once I have a nicely cleaned working area, I can tackle the actual casting in resin. I’m kinda terrified. I hope it’s not as challenging as the silicone!

Some Progress?

Okay! Good news: I’ve completed one half of the silicone mould for Clariel and about 1/4 of the other half. (It’s a two-part mould.)

Bad news: I’m out of silicone and my supplier still hasn’t delivered my shipment yet. Rrrrrgh! Come on! I ordered it back on December 22nd! Get the lead out guys!

IMG_2287[1]

Not half bad if I do say so myself. Uh, no pun intended. The silicone looks a bit tacky and weird on the surface in this shot but it’s just because it has mould release painted over it. I need to be verrrrry sure that it will come apart when the top layer is finished curing, otherwise, my sword will be trapped in a solid block of silicone. That would suck.

Now, hopefully, I will get to work this morning and find that my new silicone shipment is waiting for me. Wish me luck everybody! I’m trying my hardest to make this happen!